1. Default Things to consider

Featured Sponsor

I was wondering if any of you might have a list of "things to consider" before starting your underground job for the day. I am puting together a new clipboard for our tailboards and want to have this list on it for a quick reminder and/or info for us to think about. I don't want to have to recreate the wheel if i don't have to. Any lists out there would be a great help.

Thanks

One thing you might think about is your tagging,will you have your tagging done before or as you go? Your measurements to the pedestals/handholes,your measurements to your pullboxes/pullholes....keep them in some type of order so that you wont be playing a guessing game when its time to tag your primary and secondary.Same thing goes for numbering your transformers,your terminal poles.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lineman808 View Post
    I was wondering if any of you might have a list of "things to consider" before starting your underground job for the day. I am puting together a new clipboard for our tailboards and want to have this list on it for a quick reminder and/or info for us to think about. I don't want to have to recreate the wheel if i don't have to. Any lists out there would be a great help.

Thanks
    I don't know man.
    I don't think you need a "List" of things to consider on your "clipboard", for your daily tailboard.

On Job safety should always be the primary topic in every tailboard. Underground or overhead.

Look at the Job site, with your crew and note any possible Safety issues. Aside from that, discuss how you want the job to proceed, and listen to any suggestions from your crew members. Come to a conclusion and....get your ass to work.

I think OSHA has a check list for tailboards. It had five or so points to consider like knowing the source, and the location of the work in case you get in trouble or someone is hurt you can easily let rescue or help find you. Knowing the clearance points and where grounds are located. Stuff like that.

Another good thing is to read the name plate on the transformer you are going to set and match that with what the job calls for. We had a crew install a 480 secondary tub on a 120/240 service to a library and when they energized it, it torched the building pretty good. The tubs had similar design and lot numbers, someone didn't check it out real good.

Among some of the other good points that have been brung up it's always a good habit to communicate primary and secondary voltage of a transformer or piece of equipment prior to opening it so there is no mistakes,ie, step down transformers, dual circuit transformers etc, etc. A list of your safe work practices, a reminder not to deviate from them, some may say there is no need for all these reminders and in a perfect world you shouldn't have to do all this but today you have to do it to prepare for the weakest link in the chain. Good luck with your safety briefing form, if it keeps one man from screwing up it will be well worth it. Charlie.

Default In addition

In addition to all of the above good suggestions concerning safety, open points, grounds, responsibilities.......

Any special tools, dies, etc that are not used on a daily basis and carried on each truck. Break out a set of instructions and go over proper stip backs, insulation removal lengths etc. Especially if it has been awhile since your crew has done any UG. This also helps catch slight variations in measurements from manufacturer to manufacturer. Even with the same manufacturer sometimes dimensions change, die requirements change, etc. Check the canaries before leaving the yard if working in manholes/vaults. Check for proper harnesses. Check where the work is to be performed to see if lane closures will be needed for mid street vaults.

Many assume that because things are redundant that they don't have to go over every little detail. By going over every little detail it helps the crew leader ascertain the mental state of his crew sometimes and helps ensure everyone is on the same page. Complete tailboards only take a few minutes and can help lessen the chances of not only accidents that cause injury but also those uh ohs that cause work to not be as productive due to mental mistakes.
    Take only what you earn, give only what you can, learn to respect yourself before you can expect to respect anything or anyone else.

Do we have enough grounds, feed thrus, cable spiker or hot stick cutter, maps, switching routines, radios to talk to the guys on the other end, hi pot tools, enough fuel in the digger (don't ask), electronic cable identifier, AB Chance dead test box, etc.

8. Default Mahalo

Featured Sponsorr

Thanks guys for the info! All very helpful.
    I know for myself that its always good to have a list of helpful reminders to go over so i dont overlook anything or just brain fart.
    Thanks again for the help!
    This forum rocks!!!!