Thread: Bare Handing

1. Default Bare Handing

Featured Sponsor

The company I work for is wanting is to start bare handing. I was wondering if other companies are doing this and if they are compensating them above they regular wage. If so how much?

What voltages do they want you to bare hand? Are they going to bring in proper training? The work is very limited for us, we only cut in or sleeve out switches. Our highest voltage is 44kv. We don't get any extra pay for it, some guys don't like doing it, but I think it is a great technique, but again we don't do it very often.

Default Barehanding

I was on a job handling 500kv and it only payed 2% above JL
    Been to hell but the DEVIL said i was a crazy Motherfu&$er

We barehand 138& 230 kv, no extra money, same as lineman setting on a 5 gallon bucket making up an elbow.

Not to change the subject...but theres still plenty of guys that dont like anyone sitting on anything when making up urd or working on secondaries or drops....or theres still here....still the no umbrella types too in the heat.

To the best of my knowledge in Conn. if you were 345 kv qualified to bare hand you were paid a couple of bucks an hour more whether your were bare handing of not, Then a supevisor and a couple of guys started to cut corners the union went to safety and as far as I know they haven't done it in a year or so.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lewy View Post
    What voltages do they want you to bare hand? Are they going to bring in proper training? The work is very limited for us, we only cut in or sleeve out switches. Our highest voltage is 44kv. We don't get any extra pay for it, some guys don't like doing it, but I think it is a great technique, but again we don't do it very often.
    they want us to bare hand 69kv to 550kv I think they will bring in proper training, thanks for the information.

Featured Sponsorr

Watch yourself on the 69. Clearances are critical.