Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default Finally getting new harnesses.

Featured Sponsor

Hi guy,if you can remember I asked sometime ago about which full body harness most of you use or can you recommend a good one,this was because our company purchased a load which after a few weeks most of us relised these where basically s#^t.we where told we could buy our own and the company could have them inspected then put into there system(insurance).alot of guys didn't want to spend there own cash on what is essentially basic ppe & there fore company's look out,but a long story short we are now in the process of looking for new harnesses so again with the original question,can any one recommend a good,well made,comfortable harness? We heard Cresto do a good 1.

Default Petzl

I've got a petzl one, I think from memory it's navaho boss (or similar). It fits my skinny body nicely and because it's designed as an abseil harness I can sit in it for hours at a time.

I wasn't cheap though but I guess you get what you pay for. It's got two front attachment points (one chest,one waist) , one rear, and D rings on the sides for pole belts. It's also got a couple of nice loops for hanging stuff from.

I find if I put a rope around a structure and then hook it to the front waist one I can sit without the belt taking the weight on my back, as a lot of the weight is transferred into my thighs.

Stu

On the basis that the cheap harnesses usually supplied by equally cheap companies are the very ones that cause suspension trauma by tightening around your legs like nooses, I have to wonder why they don't solve that problem completely by ONLY supplying Petzl style support harnesses.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

This is what we are supplied http://www.safetyonline.com/doc.mvc/...t-Harness-0001 very comfortable, but we only use them in a bucket, have a separate climbing belt.

Quote Originally Posted by BigClive View Post
    On the basis that the cheap harnesses usually supplied by equally cheap companies are the very ones that cause suspension trauma by tightening around your legs like nooses, I have to wonder why they don't solve that problem completely by ONLY supplying Petzl style support harnesses.
    That's exactly the other reason I always specify Petzl,

Also I never put my fall arrest on the back D ring for another good medical reason which is Clive ??

I thought the fall arrest had to go on the back D-ring because when you stop suddenly, it could break your back if the lanyard was attached at the front.

On the other hand, falling onto your back with the gubbins there ain't gonna do your back much good.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Default I was taught...

If it's on the front then your stand more chance of getting your feet back to the structure for self rescue (assuming you are conscious) and if you're unconscious your head if likely to flop backwards if you're hanging from the front thereby protecting your airway.

Personally I prefer the not falling off and needing it method (says me who is currently suffering bruised discs after falling top to bottom of the stairs at home)

Stu

The Miller Revolution is good and they come in Nomex for full FR protection.I swap between the Bashlin 683 "X" style and the non-FR Miller.Miller has a video called "Gravity Kills" you should check it out.It lets you see how your body acts when you fall and the fall arrest system works.The Miller is hinged at the hips so you can sit in it comfortably,the Bashlin nallows you to put your bodybelt over it if you want to but you really can't sit in it comfortably as it tightens up.

On the basis that the body isn't designed to bend backwards much, but is designed to fold almost like a penknife forwards, I was always under the impression that when a fall arrest lanyard deployed then when it reached the end of the concertina'd strap then the sudden jolt of stopping could cause serious back damage if the attachment point was on the front.

I wonder how many of these snippets of safety information are based on testing, actual accidents and fact. Over the 32 years I've been in the industry I've had lots of contradicting safety information.

www.bigclive.com

Default Fair point

Featured Sponsorr

That's a very valid point Clive, I guess it would depend on a lot of factors including size of the guy who was falling.

You know the best option............. Don't let go in the first place

Stu