1. Default Looking for history of Lineman body belts and safety straps

Featured Sponsor

Lineman body belts and safety straps have evolved over the years with several enhancements.
    I purchased my Bashlin 88G belt from a lineman who came on the right of way one day selling his tools b/c he just retired after 35 years. He also had his skid which wasnt double locking and got me thinking about all the enhancements the belt alone has made over time.
    Does anyone know where I could find some more history or find the first lineman belt issued?

Thanks for your help

Be safe

RG

Check the websites for Bashlin, Halls Safety, brooks, Klein. they may have info. Also the International Lineman's Museum http://www.linemanmuseum.com/
    Note to self, just because it pops into my head doesn't mean it should come out of my mouth.

I did a little research on this a while back. Sometime around the mid 1800's, about the time of the Civil War, the telegraph linemen started using climbing belts. Before that they just wrapped a leg around the pole to hang on. Back then the poles were pretty small so you could do that.

The first belts were all custom built by a local harness maker.

I don't know who was the first manufaturer of climbing belts

4. Default Thanks

Featured Sponsorr

Thank you guys. I have emailed the International Linemans Museum with nothing returned yet...I can't imagine those guys in the Civil War working with what we know now.

RG