Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Irene

Featured Sponsor

I'm still in Maryland working for Baltimore Gas&Electric and there are still around 8000 customers out according to the company.

TG, what you're talkin about with no one has a clue sounds just like PSE out here in the northwest. We have no one in management that has a jry card. Not even our immediate supervisor, none of them. And the storm rooms? Same thing, spread sheets and people crossing paths in the field. With their "service provider" model, they put out "acessors" in pickups that tie orange engineers tape to down line. They sit around in pickups and look good all the while don't know a xarm from a butt plate. Glad i'm 56 and going whenever I want to in a few years, if it weren't for the money I'm makin, I'd be out of here sooner. If the circus gets to me , I'll have to drag up sooner than later.

I used to think the place where I worked was screwed up in storms but now I see it's nation wide!
    National Grid = Retired! US Army vet. 68 - 70
    As of April of 2010 I quit smoking! It's been hard but so far no butts! I am now an X smoker!

The "Ties" drool at the chance to send thirty men off the payroll for a week or two to fight a storm somewhere and charge the damaged company for their time while the meters in the "Ties" territory keep turning. It's all about bottom line. Yea the customers whine when the lights don't come on quick enough then the "Ties" just come up with a new plan to have the field people report what and how they expected to get things done faster more effeciently. The "Ties" don't take the blame or do any of the work, they just point fingers and collect the rent. They operate similar to our politicians. . .I guess it's lead by example

I worked there for 40+ years and after every storm we had a storm review and came up with a new plan to make the restoration effort better next time. . .It was never the same and things didn't get done any faster till the mess was cleaned up, new poles and wire set and power restored, period. They just came up with more ways for the field people to shovel information to the Ties sitting in well light airconditioned offices eating doughnuts and coffee or pizza, answering phones from irate customers with some inkling of intelligence.

The dispatchers who worked the system every day would become so overwhelmed by a storm they would turn the storm over to a service center manned with every day office people to manage the storm. The storm manual was like a fat phone book of how to do this or that and the only time it was used was once during a storm prep drill before the stormy season and then when ever a storm hit, which may be awhile. Way too much detail and information to streamline a restoration effort by people who don't usually do this work. But another case where the Ties lead by example and taught the dispatchers to find a way to give the burden to a lesser group while they they ordered carryout and waited for things to return to normal.

I'm sorry I'm ranting

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    I'm still in Maryland working for Baltimore Gas&Electric and there are still around 8000 customers out according to the company.
    Have you seen any other crews from maybe Live Oak? We have not heard from one of them in a week.

Ya'll stay safe Charlie!

hey, Lost Art heard from one tuse am. Things were fine. They think they are close to wrapping up in a few days. pm me I will tell u more or I will let u know more.

My favorite term for "ties" is one I heard a while back, "empty suits"...yeah, after every storm they want to re-invent the wheel to no avail. They TRY to handle every storm differently, but like you say, it ain't over til the "mess is cleaned up and all the poles and wire are back up and running"....

Quote Originally Posted by jaxtaz View Post
    hey, Lost Art heard from one tuse am. Things were fine. They think they are close to wrapping up in a few days. pm me I will tell u more or I will let u know more.
    Thank you! I sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LostArt View Post
    Have you seen any other crews from maybe Live Oak? We have not heard from one of them in a week.

Ya'll stay safe Charlie!
    LA I have seen some FPL crews, some JEA crews, Gulf Power crews and of course our bunch from Fla, but none from Live Oak. I ran into 1 of the Smith boys the other day and I thought he told me that they had headed into Connecticut, I made it to the Pennsylvania line today so I eased on across so I could say I had been there, it sure is some pretty farmland up in there, anyhow I gotta get to bed 4:30 is gonna come early.

Featured Sponsorr

Looks like this labor day will actually be a LABOR day.....still working for JCP&L.....thouht we might get released today....but.....still here........seems to be taking sooooooo long.......how ya doin at the shore, Labor?

Was in Lincoln Park today, my heart goes out to the people in the area I was in today....Weather Channel just said Jersey could have more flooding from Lee by Wednesday

I am hoping they are wrong for these people's sake.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
    Abraham Lincoln