Thread: Safety Reminder

Default Safety Reminder

Featured Sponsor

Just a reminder to not neglect the "smaller" hazards. This story is not related to the electrical industry, but is relevant to those who work with large trucks. I good friend of mine died on Monday due to a head injury sustained a few weeks ago. He was very young and in good health.

He was working on a salt-spreader on a dump truck and took a misstep and fell striking his head. The fall was probably from less than a 6 foot height.

The point is:

1) Wear your hard hat at all times. I'm not sure it would have made any difference in this case, but I don't think it could hurt.

2) Always watch foot placement when in the air or otherwise.

3) Always maintain the three-point contact rule when elevated.

Just hoping we can all be just a little more vigilant after a young needless death. It's hard to be cautious at all times.

Mark

Mark,
    Sorry for your loss. Your message is right on. We taught for years in our First Aid classes, that any fall higher than your head was potentially fatal.

It is very seldom that the big hazards get us, it is the routine jobs we take for granted.
    Note to self, just because it pops into my head doesn't mean it should come out of my mouth.

Default so far so good

Looks like we dodged the bullet for January,no fatalities reported yet ....on this website...and thats great with me.

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    Looks like we dodged the bullet for January,no fatalities reported yet ....on this website...and thats great with me.
    Make that two months..10 more to go

Lets hope the safety continues... Its easy to become complacent in your work when you do the same things over and over again. Some guys on my crew give me $#!T because I dont take short cuts and it takes longer. But hey, I wanna go home at night... I got bit while dead ending a 69 line. New construction so I knew it wasnt energized, but we were pulling over a hot crossing. So I backed my bucket out, told everyone on the crew to go double check the hot crossing, check the trailer grounds on the puller, and to send me some rubbers and a hot stick because I was going to re-secure my grounds in the air. Took about 30 minutes, but it was my first time getting bit on the job and I wanted to make sure... Rookie move? Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by Roofus View Post
    Lets hope the safety continues... Its easy to become complacent in your work when you do the same things over and over again. Some guys on my crew give me $#!T because I dont take short cuts and it takes longer. But hey, I wanna go home at night... I got bit while dead ending a 69 line. New construction so I knew it wasnt energized, but we were pulling over a hot crossing. So I backed my bucket out, told everyone on the crew to go double check the hot crossing, check the trailer grounds on the puller, and to send me some rubbers and a hot stick because I was going to re-secure my grounds in the air. Took about 30 minutes, but it was my first time getting bit on the job and I wanted to make sure... Rookie move? Oh well...
    I got to admire you Roofus,Ive been bit before also.Working with a contractor in a substation.The wire was 2 million....and This was basically highline work.Different jacks and grips.....different type of guys that I just met that morning.Well after being bit and letting the guy in charge know.The only thing he says was that he forgot to ground the end that he was on.That was enough for me......oh well.....

Default 3 months

Three months have passed and no reports of a single fatality on this website.....great news to me.

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    Three months have passed and no reports of a single fatality on this website.....great news to me.
    Unfortunately 3 were killed here in Fl today something to do with a car accident in their work zone, I believe all 3 were from Georgia and were working for Service Electric Company, you can google 3 utility workers killed in Lake County if you want to read the news article, prayers to these guys family's. Charlie.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    Unfortunately 3 were killed here in Fl today something to do with a car accident in their work zone, I believe all 3 were from Georgia and were working for Service Electric Company, you can google 3 utility workers killed in Lake County if you want to read the news article, prayers to these guys family's. Charlie.
    http://www.wesh.com/news/3-pedestria...crash/32155198