Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I quit smoking!

Default I quit smoking!

Featured Sponsor

Last April 15, 2010 I quit a 2 pack a day smoking habit! I did it chewing the nicotine gum. I smoked for about 40 years! It has not been easy but I have not gone back or cheated even once. Now I'm too stubborn and cheap to go back! When I quit I was buying a carton every 5 or 6 days for close to $60.00. So do the math! Do I feel better? No not really. I don't get as winded as I used to so that's good. I walked by a guy smoking today and it smelled really good!
    So how many others have quit and how did you do it?
    National Grid = Retired! US Army vet. 68 - 70
    As of April of 2010 I quit smoking! It's been hard but so far no butts! I am now an X smoker!

Cold Turkey! Course I only smoked from 14 to about 25! And yes I do cheat to this day! Been worse as of late but GOOD FOR YOU! you may not feel better but when you don't feel any worse 20 years or more from now you'll be thankful!

Quiters!..................

Default The first time? or second time?

The first time I was fed up with smoking so everytime I wanted a smoke I would write on a pad "I don't smoke" as many times till I felt stupid and I didn't light up. It took about three weeks of that and I was done.

Then I met my second wife and she smoked and sooner or later I would light one for her, pretty soon I was smoking again.
    Then the morning after my quadruple bypass surgery I woke up with one 3/8 inch clear plastic hose and two tiny black wires coming out of my chest. I asked the nurse "what they were there for" and she said "the hose is to watch to see if I was bleeding inside and the wires were there so if they had to stimulate my heart via a shock it would be easier". I asked "how long do they stay in there" and she said "three days". "Do I have to be put under to remove them?" "No". So for three days I sat and wondered. . . .Then a male nures showed up one day snapped on some gloves and said "hold still", he grabbed the hose and the two wires and yanked them right out, all 10 inches or so.
    That's the last time I seriously thought about if I'd smoke again or not. That was 14 years ago.
    Last year I walked my dogs almost 600 miles. wouldn't have done that while I was smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    GOOD for YOU Lood!!!
    Extremely Cool man!!

As a matter of fact, I'm ridin that horse now. I was only a "Pack a day" though for....
    god,....

I don't even want to think....since I was 16-17?

"Quit" a few times...did good, but then always went back. I'm down to about a pack every 3-4 days now. Doin pretty good with it. It's hard. I could never do the "gum". Tried it...tastes like shit. The Patch?....NOT. I finally narrowed it down. I like to see and Taste the smoke comin out of my mouth. I LIKE Smokin.

Did a BUNCH of research, and finally bought one of these. Took me a couple weeks to figure out how to use it correctly for me, but....DUDE...It Has helped me IMMENSELY!!!

I went with the NO Nicotine cartridges, and bought a bottle of the Liquid. Best thing I've ever done. I still burn a couple real ones a day, but the desire is fadin. Once ya cut down the daily nicotine...it gets easier, least for me.

Like I said, I've done research on All of these products. WHY I decided on THIS one? One reason only. The Battery...is 5 Volts. All the rest are 3.5 Volts. MAJOR difference. Check it out...anybody that wants to stop smokin. AND...at these prices....Who the hell DON'T....

This has Really, REALLY helped me. And...the support for their product is incredible. They're in Naples Florida. http://directecig.com/
    Yeah the patch was awfull, I had nightmares! I bought the gum from WalMart and yes it tasted like sh!t! But I used it. Then I found I was hooked on the gum. So I went to hard candy. Then sugar-less candy. I know a guy who chewed toothpicks. He soaked em in scotch too! LOL
    Hey whatever works I guess! I think if I tried just one cigg I'd be all the way back!
    National Grid = Retired! US Army vet. 68 - 70
    As of April of 2010 I quit smoking! It's been hard but so far no butts! I am now an X smoker!

Good for you! Welcome to the quitter's club!

My hats off to those of you who managed to quit. Lord Knows I have tried and failed many times......... The damn prollem is I just like it too much to give it up and itz killin me.
    I have heard that the E cigs aint no better fer ya than the real thang n in fact may be werser.

I don't smoke, but I found the e-cigs so interesting that I bought some. Obviously I don't use nicotine liquid in them, in fact I make my own using just glycerol and water.

There are a lot of people upset about e-cigs because it circumvents the tobacco duty, so you can expect a major backlash from government bodies and those financially involved with the tobacco industry.

Here's the low-down on how the electronic cigarettes work and what's in the liquid.

The liquid is based on a glycol like propylene glycol or glycerine/glycerol, water, nicotine and aroma. Here's a breakdown of those ingredients.

Water. Um, not much to say about that. It's about 75% of the liquid.

Glycol. As used in cakes and icing. Also used to create the "smoke" in night clubs where a mixture of glycol and water is forced through a heater block.

Nicotine. A plant derived stimulant that is as addictive as heroin.

Aroma. Could be anything. Probably the most dangerous thing in the liquid.

The cigarettes themselves consist of a rechargeable battery module and a vaporiser that is basically a wick made of fibreglass with a fine heating element would round it.

The cartridges are usually a small cylinder with a wick material in it that holds the liquid, and when it's slotted into the end of the cigarette the liquid then wicks down to the atomiser.

Some e-cigs turn the vaporiser on when you inhale through them, either using a membrane switch or microphone to detect the airflow. Others have a little button on the barrel allowing you to turn on the vaporiser manually when you inhale (or just before if you wish.) The hard core geeks prefer the button because it lets them control the cig better.

Given that real cigarettes give our a thick particulate smoke full of a massive range of toxic chemicals, I don't believe for one minute that breathing in a vapour of water, glycol and nicotine is any more dangerous. Nightclubs have been using smoke machines for decades and there is no evidence that the people who work in them suffer any ill effects from breathing in the glycol and water vapour from the machines. Quite the contrary. In childrens wards they used to haze the air with glycol and water to prevent airborne viruses or germs.

Do a search for e-cig or electronic cigarette on YouTube to find all the geeky reviews.

And remember, you can REFILL the cartridges yourself quite cheaply, so even if you do continue using them as an alternative to smoking, they will save you a fortune over traditional tobacco cigarettes.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Hey swamp... I think I'm gonna give this a try. How much does it cost to get started?

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    NOW....If they'd just start sellin THC Cartridges, who would EVEN give a shit about nicotine!!! Stay tuned. Bet you'll see it happenin in california sooner than ya think. It's the next logical step!

This product already has the Tobacco people pissed off. Imagine if ya could get THC Liquid refills!!!! I'll tell ya....It's comin...."down the road".
    The problem with the THC is that they would have to isolate the chemical compound from the resin since the e-cigs would gunk up almost instantly with anything other than the water based liquids.

How long are you getting out of an atomiser Swampy?
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com