Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Featured Sponsor

Oh, yeah, what was I thinking. Thanks for turning the light bulb on for me Boomber!

2. Default

[QUOTE=loodvig;101422]
    Quote Originally Posted by jwebsta32 View Post
    Kennebunk Light and Power, Kennebunk Maine.

Oh OK I just didn't know about Muni's in Maine!
    There are Three Muni's in Maine I believe. Kennebunk Light and Power, Madison Electric, and Houlton Water Co. Bangor Hydro is an IOU I believe and Northern maine is a co-op. Aside from that its Central Maine Power all over.

3. Default

first of all, this entire thread should be somewhere besides in the troubleman's forum....

the Idea is that the Troubleshooter's are suppose to know and understand the system in away that helps them figure out the problem, and to restore power as soon as possible, ...make an intelligent, quick decision on wether he can safely make the fixes necessary to get this done and restore power, or needs a crew do it. Troubleshooter's are useally first on the scene to make decision's pertaining to rules and regulations, to insure that emergency first responder's are able to enter emergency area's and is responsible to make sure that the power is de-energized and safe for them and the public.....We are the faces of the company, and the responsiblity is great. I work alone, I came from the Line department where we changed out every type of pole, in any kind of weather....and I will always call myself a lineman, (when my primary responsibility was my safety and the safety of my pole buddy)....and a troubleman, (where everyone's safety in catastrophic situations is my responsibility) .....and am proud of both...but to compare wether a troubleman deserves his pay, is like asking if a foreman deserves his? or a coordinator...cause they are paid for there knowledge

Ummmmmmm I wouldnt argue with your assesment.I bleve the line guys get a tad jealous when they see ya doin sumpin simple n easy but kinda ferget the responsibilitys heaped on ya. A real troubleshooter will have spent his time on a linecrew.

Default Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer gone soft View Post
    Welcome to Powerlineman.com......
    Every thread will eventually devolve into dems/repubs......you're a bigger dumbass.....or I'm going to kill/harm you/your family.
    Now that is F-ing Funny, Just like every line-barn I've ever been in. Everything is an argument and if you show any weakness somebody is going to poke a stick in your side.

Had a guy tell another guy "You can't be Irish your mother must have been a whore or your adopted" Just did it to watch him pop his cork and start swinging. If I know somebody on the work platform I can piss off through discussion on religion, nationality, race or politics it's going to a street fight. You throw a punch, i PULL A KNIFE, YOU PULL A KNIFE AND I'm PULLING A GUN.

WHY CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG......Cause that wouldn't be fun....

That all said trouble workers deserve more money, They require additional training over and above a typical crew worker, They are at higher risk hazard pay and work a rotating shift. When a junior inexperienced worker is forced by the roster to work as a trouble shooter bad things happen. Some guy's just cant work alone troubleshooting because of ther personality and some guy's like being a crew-leader/ It's the lazy ones that never progress above 3rd class or second class that I don't like.

1st class lineman or crew leader status through voluntary progression should be a mandate to begin qualifying as a trouble shooter.

Just my opinions, for what it's worth....Play nice girls.....

6. Question

At my utility here in Cali our troublemen make close to 300K yrly with all the Doubletime they get. All overtime is doubletime & at 65 an hr straight pay thats 130hr.

Quote Originally Posted by CPOPE View Post
    Now that is F-ing Funny, Just like every line-barn I've ever been in. Everything is an argument and if you show any weakness somebody is going to poke a stick in your side.

Had a guy tell another guy "You can't be Irish your mother must have been a whore or your adopted" Just did it to watch him pop his cork and start swinging. If I know somebody on the work platform I can piss off through discussion on religion, nationality, race or politics it's going to a street fight. You throw a punch, i PULL A KNIFE, YOU PULL A KNIFE AND I'm PULLING A GUN.

WHY CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG......Cause that wouldn't be fun....

That all said trouble workers deserve more money, They require additional training over and above a typical crew worker, They are at higher risk hazard pay and work a rotating shift. When a junior inexperienced worker is forced by the roster to work as a trouble shooter bad things happen. Some guy's just cant work alone troubleshooting because of ther personality and some guy's like being a crew-leader/ It's the lazy ones that never progress above 3rd class or second class that I don't like.

1st class lineman or crew leader status through voluntary progression should be a mandate to begin qualifying as a trouble shooter.

Just my opinions, for what it's worth....Play nice girls.....
    Not where I work!!

8. Default cali

where do you work in cali in Pa for the utility I work for it is 3 dollars and shift diff above a JL around 41.07 an hour. I am looking to move does anyone work in oregon or washington even cali

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by hotwiretamer View Post
    Our company is real close to creating a Troubleman's position and rumor has it that it will probably be 104% of lineman scale. Up untill this point we have had a "service truck" that the lineman would rotate on every two months or so. (some districts leave the servicemen on forever.) The servicemen handle small jobs like services, D to D lights, meets with electricians, etc. They also are called when there is a trouble call that comes in during business hours. (After hours we have a lineman on call). When they create the troubleman's position the person awarded the job will be doing the exact same thing. Why does he deserve more pay? Troublework is a lot easier than line work, and you rarely work hot primary. The district that keeps the service truck running with the same guy all the time is because he doesn't really work well with others and the forman would rather not have to deal with him on there crew anyway. So, the way I see it, they're giving the most worthless lineman a pay raise. The only change will be his start time. Rumor also has it that he will start at 9:00 and get off at 8:00 with an hour lunch. 4 tens, M thru Thurs. The other troubleman will work same hours Tues. thru Fri.
    I am a troubleman and believe me, I wish I could go back to being a lineman. We work rotating swing shifts, work alone constantly, do all the switching for the crews who won't work anything hot anymore. I do agree that a troubleman deserves more pay. Even when I was a lineman, I was sometimes upgraded to T-man for a day at a time or even up to a couple of weeks. You run your ass off.

Featured Sponsorr

It's typical for a Lineman to think a Troubleshooter has it easy, because the lineman is working every day and on the nice days when the system is running well and all the switching is handled the TS looks like he hasn't got anything to do which isn't the case. I was training Troubleshooters at my company before I retired and our guys get a very broad training on a wide variety of equipment and problems.
    We trainied on customer problems residential, and general secondary, We tained on Substations starting on one tr one buss stations all the way up to Transmission substations and all the relays and equipment in them. We trained on all manner of switch gear which includes the gear in the local hospitals and major sports facilities and the airport. We trained on the metropolitan underground system including manhole and network vault switching, Our guys got first rsponder taining and they brought their linework abilities to work all manner of storm work. They also had responsibility for streetlight repair which included area lighting for customers.Some are trained to specialize above and beyond the regular work like using thermal imaging or troubleshooting wind fields or photovoltaic displays and biogeneration They are indespensible in my opinion and this was the greatest job I ever had myself, So unless your company has real troubleshooters like I discribed you couldn't even get a handle on what they are worth.