Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
  1. Default

Featured Sponsor

when you come across a pole that is broke off at the but and can't get the butt chain around it drive a ground rod in it about 18'' and put a grip on the ground rod hook up the winch line and pull it out
    Buy american made & when possible buy union made

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by unionhand View Post
    when you come across a pole that is broke off at the but and can't get the butt chain around it drive a ground rod in it about 18'' and put a grip on the ground rod hook up the winch line and pull it out

ever see the ground rod pull out doing that???? Goes off like a ****ing rocket..........
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    ever see the ground rod pull out doing that???? Goes off like a ****ing rocket..........
    You're right man! Done it three or four times and it took off on us once! Still lookin for that rod?

I drive'em in a lot further than 18"! Course I use the hydro driver!

Try driving on an angle to form an "X", then use two grips and bridle them with a nylon sling to the line truck......

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    Lewy,
    when you say "culverts", I assume you're talkin bout what I use to call "Barrelin" down a pole. We use to use Oil drums....back when I started Linework in Ill.

"Culverts"...are what goes under roads. But, I can see where, if they're the right diameter...it would be the same thing, and ya could cut em to the length needed.

Don't understand what the "Crib" thing your talkin bout is though.

I've barreled down poles in 4 Ft. of salt water in the intercoastal waterway in Florida. What's a "crib"?

We'd just jam down two barrels welded together, suck the water out, put the pole in...then start the Air hose... Jet down. What's a "Crib" man? Just askin...
    I know this picture is a little late, this is what we call a pole crib
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yeah but we always called em a POLE KEY not a crib.

Liledgy Guest

We use 2 2x10's treated 4 foot long. Lay them next to pole, dig down length and width of only 1 of them. Put the first one in half way, angled at about a 45. Then put the other one in between the first one and the pole, pound it down with a tamp and sledge. Makes a great, tight fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
    We use 2 2x10's treated 4 foot long. Lay them next to pole, dig down length and width of only 1 of them. Put the first one in half way, angled at about a 45. Then put the other one in between the first one and the pole, pound it down with a tamp and sledge. Makes a great, tight fit.
    Sounds similar to bog shoes that the boys in Lousiana taught me how to build except they were put on the pole in the shape of a diamond and the pole was pounded up and down in the marsh until it was at proper depth had to watch the cant on the pole cause you werent gonna cant it after those bog shoes started going down, they called it the marsh, looked like a friggin swamp to me, got along good with them cajuns though, good people.

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    Yeah but we always called em a POLE KEY not a crib.
    Yep! Up here we call'em "keys" or "keying a pole!"

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    Maby that was a Northern term. When I moved to Florida they called em Keys.

The only thing we use a crib for is ear corn and nobody picks in the ear anymore. Pole key or Liledgy's 2x12x6' is a breast block.